Pages

Wednesday 9 March 2011

Tastes of the Orient

As a person of Chinese origin it's only right that I mention a snack from my country of origin. Last weekend I was in the Chinatown area and popped into one of the many Chinese supermarkets. With time to kill whilst waiting for a friend I browsed the aisles and reminisced with sweets and snacks I happily indulged in as a child. We're quite fortunate that in Manchester the Chinatown isn't just a handful of shops on one street and there are multiple restaurants and bakeries offering some delightful delicacies.

One of the items that I purchased this weekend is a sweet snack called Sachima from the supermarket. The Wikipedia definition states that Sachima is "a common Chinese pastry found in many Chinese-speaking regions". It wasn't until they were handed out to my colleagues that I realised I wasn't aware of the English name given to a snack that I've eaten from young age. It maybe of interest to some of you to know that using Google Translate, one of the many the Chinese names given to them (馬仔) actually translates to "Cowboys".


If you're interested in sampling some Sachima, just head down to your local Chinese supermarket where they are available in egg and sesame seed flavour. So put down that Mars bar and try something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment