Pages

Tuesday 15 March 2011

Sweaty Juice!

Continuing with the oriental theme from my previous post I thought I'd mention one particular drink I'm fond of from the Far East. It doesn't have the most appealing name given to it. After all it is a Japanese based drink and they're renowned for their grasp of the Engrish language. The beverage in question is called Pocari Sweat and contrary to the name it does not contain human sweat or sweat of any living organism, not that this would be any more acceptable. I'm pretty certain that Lucozade or Powerade wouldn't be so popular had they been appended with the word sweat to their products.

Pocari Sweat itself is actually a sports drink and the name is derived from the notion of supplying the drinker with the nutrients and electrolytes lost from sweating. Despite it's unappealing name it's quite a pleasant drink with a distinct taste. On visits to Hong Kong, I often purchase this is powder form that I can add water to which I drink before and after exercise.



Pocari Sweat has been around for three decades now and they don't appear to have branched out into other flavours or products. I'm sure a Pocari Urine and Pocari Faeces would add some dimension to the range.

1 comment: