Pages

Friday 5 August 2011

Variety is the spice of life!

We all love a bit of choice in our life and I'm no exception, especially when it comes to food. It's one of the reasons why I particularly enjoy buffets, tapas and dim sum so much. When Tesco had an offer on for Gu desserts last week I couldn't decide which cheesecake option to purchase. Eventually I purchased both Chocolate and Vanilla and the Lemon flavoured cheesecakes. To be fair, you wouldn't expect any less from me now would you?

The best way to compare the two flavours was to consume them side by side on the same evening. The 300+ calories in each (about 700 in both) didn't deter me one bit. If that wasn't bad enough I couldn't help but eat the remaining two on the following night. It's a good job I enjoy exercising almost as much as I enjoy my food.


If you've never had a Gu cheesecake before they are packaged in a glass jar that can give your dinner guests the impression that you made them yourself. They can also double as a sauce container or candle holder afterwards. I decided to begin with the chocolate & vanilla flavour and with the initial bite you immediately hit with the richness of the chocolate. It certainly overpowers any vanilla flavouring that exists. I quickly demolished this to move on to the lemon flavour with a hope that the taste wouldn't be so strong. It's certainly not as rich as the chocolate flavour and the lemon rind that it's topped with certainly helps balance out the sweetness.

Overall I'd have to say the lemon flavoured cheesecake gets my vote but unfortunately I refuse to purchase these until they are on offer again. I do like to get value for money and at the time of writing, approximately 700 calories for £1.64 (Tesco) is pretty good going!

No comments:

Post a Comment