Pages

Thursday 14 April 2011

Yum Yums


Lunch is one of the things I often think about as soon as I get into work on a morning. It's the one thing I look forward to if I know I'm going to venture out at lunchtime that day. Working in the centre of town I'm quite spoilt for choice but even then there are times I struggle to find something appealing.

The title of this post isn't referring to the dough based product, as much as I do enjoy them. It actually refers to a restaurant in Manchester city centre. Yesterday lunch time I took the plunge and went along to Yum Yums which is a Chinese buffet. For £3.80 you are given a takeaway box to fill with whatever is available. The rules are of course, that you can shut the lid at the end. Cramming as much as you can into the box is a bit of an art form and requires some tactical awareness. For example, a spare rib consists of very little meat for the amount of space it consumes. Ideally, you'd scrape the meat off and leave the bone although there are those enjoy sucking them dry like a dog. My box was packed with spring rolls, rice, noodles, chicken curry and beef with green pepper in black bean sauce. Considering I'm such a greedy connoisseur, I had no trouble closing the lid, something I later regretted as I demolished the contents within a few minutes whilst my colleague was only half way through his.

The food itself was what you would expect from a buffet. The food was quite high in salt content and tasted exactly as it does from any other Chinese buffet. As it was lunchtime a lot of the items appeared quite freshly cooked though. My verdict is that it's far from spectacular but is an extra option for lunchtimes at work despite the salt content.

No comments:

Post a Comment